5 things to think about before you start a PhD:
- Choose something you are really interested in.
- Chooses your supervisor carefully, make sure you are comfortable with them and they are experienced in you subject area. (How many compilations do they have?)
- What is your long term plan? Why do you want to do a PhD?
- Think about the journey, what you will be doing while do ing the PhD?
- Are you prepared? Remember if you are doing it full-time you need to treat it like a job.
- It doesn’t matter where you do your PhD.
- Your question is critical, this could be the thing you study and talk about for the rest of your woking life.
- There are various different forms your thesis could take. I.e. Scott McCloud’s come book thesis entitled ‘Understanding Comics, The Invisible Art’.
Fool proof tips for finding PhD topics:
- You have to be interested in it.
- Investigate your past ideas.
- Consider several ideas. Crazy notions.
- Before starting, pre-reierch what has already been done.
- Keep to the point.
- Seek advice from experts.
The structures of a PhD & Professional Doctorate:
- Lit Rev / history
- Who are you?
- Who is this for?
- Route to the solution
- Implementing the change
- What happened
- Testing the solution
- Reflection on the change