In an effort to extract more from my prints, I have worked into them by adding paint or stitch.
1) Blue Acrylic I had originally started using watercolour on this print, however the effect was (for lack of a better word) boring. Although it was interesting to see the print through the paint, the grey tinge to the ink just made the colours look dirty. Therefore, I painted over the watercolours with rich blue acrylic paint. I have painted the leaves of the acanthus in one block colour. Transforming the print from a liner exploration to a solid shape, making you more conscious of the edges of the shape/the sharp points of the leaves.
2) Yellow Acrylic Next I wanted to paint the background of the print. But I didn’t want to cover the the printed edges of the plate. So, I painted a square 1cm in from the edge of each plate. The accentuates the fact that I have used two plates to create these prints, by creating a tiled effect. The background colour also makes the leaves stand award because the yellow sinks backwards.
3) Yellow Acrylic on muslinThe edge of this muslin print wasn’t as well defined, so it would have been difficult to follow a straight line 1cm in form the edge of the plate (as I did on the previous print), therefore I just followed the subtle marks of the edge of the plate itself; but is is not as effective.
4) Stitch I chose to stitch a grid-like pattern into this print, however not over the leaves. I have also left all the unfinished edges of each line of stitch, creating an almost camouflage like effect, hiding the leaves amongst the threads. I wanted to create a juxtaposition between the flowing curling leaves and the straight mechanical lines of stitch, by also keeping the loose threads there is a third linear effect.