Athletes of the Heart: session 4

Continuing to experiment animating with paint, I set up our station almost the same as the other day, but with two main differences. First, I changed the lens on the camera so that it was able to zoom in a little further. This allowed the camera be moved slightly further away while still having the same frame size, helping prevent accidentally hitting the camera while painting. Second, instead of painting directly onto paper (black sugar paper was what we had previously used), I found a small piece of orange acetate on which to paint. This eliminated the problem of the paper buckling and moving while animating, creating a far smoother flow of frames.

Before the rest of my group arrived I began continuing our mark making, trying some slightly different approaches as to how the paint was going to appear to move. First, when applying small dots of yellow, I began by adding one dot per frame, then adding two (for a few frames), then three, then four, up to seven, by which time the yellow had filled the frame. This slow increase of splodges made the paint appear to be speeding up; being applied faster and faster. I feel this sequence is more successful than others, because of this small change. Second, I tried to make the paint look like it was growing or spreading. Again I added small dots of paint, but while adding more I increased the size of the previous dots; until the frame was fully red. This effect worked surprisingly well, the paint wasn’t just appearing, now it was moving and growing.

We also tried another means of animating the movement of the paint. We wanted the create the effect of the wet paint being scraped across the frame, causing the colours to blend together slightly. We sequentially applied small dots of thicker paint of which we were going to scrape, then proceeded to make small scrapes across the paint, capturing one frame per small scrape. This effect was quite beautiful due to the mixing of colours, in fact it worked so well we repeated it in different directions.

img_8261

 

Later we had a Adobe Premiere Pro workshop, which showed us the basic functions of the video editing software we were going to be using. We learnt things like:

  • uploading video and audio
  • cropping clips
  • forming your video on the timeline
  • adding audio and visual effects and transitions
  • Layering audio and visuals

We created a rather odd shot film using many of the effects all at once, but it was a great way of learning how to use the software.

Advertisements

Author: Crisiant

I am a Fine Art student, studying at Cardiff School of Art and Design.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s