Free machine embroidery
Setting up the machine:
- Change foot to spring loaded foot
- The switch on the back of the machine should be to the right, this lowers the feed dogs, allowing you to freely move the fabric.
You will also need:
- Your chosen fabric
- Backing paper
- An embroidery hoop
- Felt-tip pen which disappears overtime (optional), this can be used to draw out your design onto your material before starting to stitch. (should take about a day to disappear)
Free machine embroidery using ribbons and other thicker threads.
- By hand wind your chosen thread substitute (i.e. ribbon) onto a bobbin
- Put bobbin into bobbin case. Do not thread the ribbon through the notch in the bobbin case.
- Thread the top of the machine as usual.
- Pick up your bobbin thread.
- The sewing process is the same with one exception, you must turn your fabric upside-down (therefore before hand draw your design on the back of the fabric.
- Use two layers of the fabric
- Use an embroidery hoop
- Make sure all stitched lines are supported and connect to each other.
- To make a reinforced line of stitch: first do two straight lines of stitch, then overlap with a layer of zig-zag stitch.
- You can also add dissolvable fabric to a usual fabric design, or add small bit of normal fabric to you dissolvable design.
Appliqué or fabric collage:
- Iron bolderweb on to the small piece of fabric you are adding
- Cut out your shape the peel off backing (or the other way around depending on design.
- Iron together
- If the design needs to withstand use, add stitch to reinforce it